Division Manager Laboratory
Company: Beaumont Health
Location: Royal Oak
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Improve health, instill humanity and inspire hope. That's just the
beginning of the difference you can make when you join our team as
a Division Manager for the Blood Bank at Beaumont Health.
The Division or System Manager is responsible for all daily
operations at their originating site including equipment,
policies/procedures, quality, safety, personnel, and financial
activities in accordance with all regulatory/accrediting agencies'
requirements, and corporate/laboratory standards of operations. The
system manager also coordinates laboratory operations with
respective system and site operations and medical directors for a
given laboratory section.Working in conjunction with the
appropriate system/site leadership implements optimized department
test menus for each Beaumont Health campus, creating processes that
maintain patient safety. Reports to the pathologist and operations
director of assigned department.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY: Clinical Pathology
- Operations: Plans, organizes, maintains and controls the
technical and clerical operations of department including
operations/workflows of automated and non-automated equipment,
specimen processing, turn-around time and resulting; oversees new
test development and implementation. Maintains consistent
communication with assigned Operations Director and
- Financial: Establishes department operating budget; maintains
operational budgets within budget plan.
- Quality: In compliance with various regulatory and accrediting
agencies, maintains quality control review and records of all
equipment; creates, monitors and reports on quality assurance
metrics; reports and follows through on RL Solutions; continually
strives for quality improvements within the department.
- Supervision of laboratory personnel: Interviews and selects new
staff; responsible for orientation, training, continued competency
of all staff; staffing schedule, performance evaluations; provides
resources and environment for development and continuing education.
Holds staff meetings; maintains open communication with direct
reports. Identifies and reports recommendations for staffing needs
with the development of departmental objectives including
costs/benefits, resources, and potential changes in
responsibilities and/or staff re-scheduling; implements latter as
approved; recommends salary adjustments of direct subordinates.
- Policies and procedures: Formulation, implementation and
maintenance of operational and technical methodology policies and
procedures to meet quality standards for patient and clinical
services, to satisfy all related corporate and laboratory
regulatory and accrediting agencies requirements, and to meet
patient and employee safety standards.
- Technical resource of the area: Able to perform, discuss and
consult on his/her operational and technical procedures and
activities; prepares/presents proposals, summary reports for upper
management as requested. Attends committee meetings as
required/requested. Maintains/ participates in continuing
- Point-of-Care: Oversees the training and competency of
point-of-care operators throughout the hospital and maintains
database of authorized personnel.
- Quality: Manages improvement activities through data
reports/metrics from quality team, oversees accreditation
activities, and provides QA recommendations.
- Send-Outs: Manages reference laboratory testing information and
- Manages the human resources of the department to ensure the
quality of work and achievement of department goals. Councils and
disciplines staff to ensure quality of work and adherence to
Hospital Policies and Procedures in compliance with all Federal and
State regulations and contractual agreements.
- Assists on special projects as assigned by upper management.
Also assists on bench when needed.
- Test Menu Maintenance and Launch: Assists the medical and
operations directors in new test development, validation, and
equipment implementation strategies following laboratory best
practice and to be in line with appropriate regulatory standards.
Prior to launch ensures IT test build is appropriately validated,
including identifying the CPT code for new tests/test changes,
submitting the CDM built, and partnering with the billing team to
ensure appropriate build and validation of billing codes and
charges. Ensures appropriate communication of new test, or a change
to the test, through the laboratory bulletin process. Partners with
all sites to perform laboratory test directory review every other
year to maintain CAP compliance.
- Best Practice Committee: Leads the laboratory best practice
committee for their section, creating a collaborative environment
for all sites.
- Standardization: Manages and drives standardization initiatives
of laboratory operations, including but not limited to, drafting
and maintaining corporate policies and procedures for their
- Coordinates processes to allow for appropriate movement of
specimens and staff between campuses.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and
authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list
of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore,
that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond
those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education / Training:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science,
Histotechnology or related science (i.e., Biochemisty,
- Work Experience:
- 3 - 5 years' experience preferred in the laboratory discipline
being applied for.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- Certification per policy in appropriate discipline required.
Specialty certification in appropriate discipline preferred.
- ASCP Medical Laboratory Scientist - MLS(ASCP) Effective October
23, 2009 (see Notes below)
- ASCP Medical Technologist - MT(ASCP) Prior to October 2009
- ASCP International Medical Laboratory Scientist - MLS(ASCPi)
Effective January 1, 2015. (Note the superscript "i").
- ASCP Technologist (categorical) certification - BB(ASCP),
C(ASCP), H(ASCP), I(ASCP), M(ASCP) or MB(ASCP)
- AMT Medical Technologist - MT(AMT) After 2010
- NCA Clinical Laboratory Scientist - CLS(NCA) Prior to October
2009. No longer administered-see Notes.
- NCA categorical certification - Clinical Laboratory Scientist
(CLS) in Chemistry/Urinalysis, Hematology, Immunohematology, or
- CGFNS/ICHP VisaScreen Credential Assessment equivalent to a
- Other certification as determined by laboratory department
manager or laboratory administration.
(1)All certifications with ASCP and former NCA are recognized as
equal and should be treated as such.
(2)The American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Registry
(BOR) and the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory
Personnel (NCA) formed a single certification agency for medical
laboratory professionals. The agreement became effective October
23, 2009. The new agency was named the ASCP Board of Certification
(BOC) and the NCA became dissolved as a corporation.
(3)Current, active ASCP and former NCA certifications were
transferred to the ASCP BOC with no additional examination
required. The "ASCP" suffix will be attached to all BOC
certifications. Medical technologists (MT) and clinical laboratory
scientists (CLS) are now called Medical Laboratory Scientists (MLS)
with designation of MLS(ASCP).
(4)Individuals certified MT(ASCP) prior to 2004 who do not
participate in the Credential Maintenance.Program (CMP) will retain
the credential MT(ASCP). They will not receive the "MLS" credential
unless they complete the CMP program.
- Effective 1/1/2015, U.S. and International candidates will take
the same ASCP MLS certification examination.
- Participation in ASCP BOC Credential Maintenance Program (CMP)
- which promotes the continued competence of medical laboratory
personnel - preferred.
Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your
financial, health and life-work balance goals.
- NEW On-demand pay program - powered by Payactiv
- Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible
- Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of
products and services
- Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug
- Relocation assistance
- Generous retirement savings, disability insurance, identify
theft protection and even home and auto insurance
- Physical Effort:
- Considerable walking or standing may occur but also may have
lengthy time sitting.
- Work Environment:
- Works in a clinical laboratory and works with potential
hazardous reagents and infectious materials.
This is where extraordinary begins. Find out where it can take you
and your career. Apply Now!
Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all
qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin,
sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital
status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally
Keywords: Beaumont Health, Royal Oak , Division Manager Laboratory, Executive , Royal Oak, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!