Company: Beaumont Health
Location: Royal Oak
Posted on: March 14, 2023
As the largest not-for-profit health care system serving
Michigan, we offer a world of opportunity within our expansive
system. We have more nationally ranked hospitals than any other
health system in the state, including six that are Magnet
-recognized. In total, Beaumont has eight hospitals and 155
outpatient sites that provide diverse practice settings located in
communities throughout southeastern Michigan and the greater
Detroit metropolitan area. GENERAL SUMMARY: This is a full time
Midnight position working 8 or 10 hour shifts in the Blood Bank at
the Royal Oak campus.This position has a $15,000 dollar sign on
bonus attached. Performs a variety of routine or specialized tests
and procedures for use by physicians in diagnosis and treatment of
patients in one or more areas of work, such as Chemistry,
Hematology/Coagulation, Immunohematology, Histocompatibility, Flow
Cytometry, Molecular Pathology, Ancillary Testing, Microbiology and
other specialty departments. ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Independently performs routine/complex chemical, hematologic,
microscopic, morphologic immunologic, and/or microbiologic
procedures involving the use of laboratory instruments or manual
techniques maintaining appropriate technical and organizational
skills within established turn- around times.
- Applies advanced level of knowledge, training, and clinical
judgment to: (a) release quality patient test results; (b) evaluate
instrument performance and quality control results to determine the
accuracy and reliability of all analytical data before it is
released; (c) correlate results with other laboratory data and/or
disease states; (d) identify technical, instrument, pharmacologic
and/or physiologic causes of unexpected test results. Takes
action/or develops solutions based on data at hand in collaboration
with section supervisor/director.
- Standardizes, calibrates, performs preventative maintenance and
performs in-depth troubleshooting on laboratory equipment and
- Assists in the development and/or design of new test procedures
and/or methodologies; participates in the evaluation, correlation,
and introduction of new instruments or procedures.
- Participates in the instruction (theory and practice) of
clinical laboratory science to students, residents, and new
employees; attends, participates in, and presents department
continuing education and in-service training programs.
- Participates in various quality assurance and regulatory agency
activities in the department, which may include performance of
proficiency testing; involvement in TQM/CQI committees; developing
and documenting quality assurance monitors; writing and updating of
procedure manuals; participation in mandatory personal competency
assessment and assistance with administration of section competency
- Provides direction and guidance for questions and/or problems
referred by medical laboratory technicians, and other laboratory
personnel concerning specimen acceptability, unusual or discrepant
results, instrument or method problems, and/or out-of-control
situations. Communicates with nurses/physicians/other health care
workers and public concerning lab results, procedures, and
- Performs other special projects and miscellaneous duties as
assigned, including inventory control, reagent preparation, limited
venipuncture. Acting as a Team Leader, assumes designated functions
of the supervisor in his/her absence according to CAP/CLIA
requirements. This document represents the major duties,
responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended
to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be
understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform
job-related duties beyond those explicitly described. BENEFITS
STATEMENT: Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet
your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
- NEW On-demand pay program - powered by Payactiv
- Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
- Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of
products and services
- Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug
- Relocation assistance
- Generous retirement savings, disability insurance, identify
theft protection and even home and auto insurance STANDARD
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must
be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential duties. STANDARD QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education / Training :
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited
college/university with 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) in
biology including one semester in microbiology and 16 semester
hours (24 quarter hours) in chemistry including one semester in
organic or biochemistry, which may be obtained within, or in
addition to, the baccalaureate degree. Completion of a clinical
laboratory approved or accredited program by NAACLS or at least
three months documented laboratory training in each specialty in
which the individual performs high complexity testing.
- Clinical internship proof of completion (e.g., NAACLS
accredited program - hospital-based or university-based)
- Certificate of completion (hospital-based)
- "Clinical Practicum" designation on transcript
- Official ASCP BOC approval (e-mail letter) confirming
eligibility to take the certification exam.
- Work Experience :
- Completion of a NAACLS accredited clinical internship or
equivalent experience/training as required by the ASCP Board of
Certification or other acceptable certifying agency/work experience
approved by Lab Administration.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration : Department policy
requires U.S. certification, U.S. certification eligibility , or
certification assessment by one of the following agencies:
- ASCP Medical Laboratory Scientist - MLS(ASCP) Effective October
23, 2009 (see Notes below)
- ASCP Medical Technologist - MT(ASCP) Prior to October,
- ASCP International Medical Laboratory Scientist - MLS(ASCP i )
Effective January 1, 2015. Note the superscript "i".
- ASCP Technologist (categorical) certification - BB(ASCP),
C(ASCP), H(ASCP), I(ASCP), M(ASCP) or MB(ASCP)
- AMT Medical Technologist - MT(AMT) After 2010
- Additional acceptable certification eligibility can be reviewed
with Human Resources & the department WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Physical Effort :
- Requires considerable walking and standing.
- Occasional light lifting to store supplies.
- Work Environment :
- Works in a clinical laboratory and works with hazardous
reagents and infectious materials.
- Potential risk of an exposure to hazardous medications or waste
materials of hazardous medications. Beaumont Health grants equal
employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to
race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion,
genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
veteran status, or any other legally protected category.
Keywords: Beaumont Health, Royal Oak , Medical Technologist, Healthcare , Royal Oak, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...